Saturday, December 19, 2009

Is This Wrong?

For the holidays, I bought myself a couple of gorgeous necklaces made by other Etsy sellers. I am going to end up wearing threm wound, too, and considering how nice they are, I will get some compliments and some "oh, WHERE did you get that??" questions.  And I'll answer.

The problem is, every time I get questions like that, I feel like "man, I should have worn something of my own."  Then I feel like I am being disloyal to myself for not wearing more of my own work on a daily basis, but honestly, I make it every day. I LOVE many of my pieces, some so much I end up keeping them, but sometimes I want to wear something made my someone else that I never would have made myself, but I love.

I wish more people loved my work and wore it for compliments, but I know that time will come eventually.  Right now, I will just have to deal with my feelings of being torn by wearing other people's gorgeous work.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I don't think you should for one second feel guilty or anything like that. I'm sure there are people who have bought your things on Etsy with the same idea behind it. The creation process is an interesting one because a lot of time the thing created is not as appealing to the creator as it may be to someone else. Alley and I find this all the time. You should just feel proud that you are supporting and individual artist instead of some corporate sweat shop.